Is it good to use olive oil for hair growth? Does olive oil moisturize hair or make it greasy? Is it healthy to apply an olive oil hair treatment?
There are many unknowns about the use of olive oil as a hair care product. Our hesitation may be due to its oily composition or texture. However, olive oil is rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids which offer many benefits for hair.
This product was used in ancient times to treat scalp ailments, such as hair loss, or to speed up hair growth. Back then, people were unaware of olive oil’s benefits for hair, or of the reason behind its regenerative properties for the scalp, but the results were amazing.
We now know that some of the reasons olive oil can support hair growth are:
- Vitamin E strengthens the hair.
- Its regenerative properties contribute to faster hair growth.
- Vitamin C stimulates the production of collagen, a substance that makes fine hair stronger and thicker.
- According to the medical portal md-health, olive oil’s antibacterial and antifungal properties help fight against some of the most common scalp and hair maladies such as dandruff. This prevents breakage, making it possible for hair to grow stronger and faster.
Olive oil hair treatment
In today’s article, we suggest an olive oil hair treatment for you to try at home:
First, it is important to understand that although we are recommending olive oil for faster hair growth, not all olive oils contain the necessary properties. Due to the acidity of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, hair is guaranteed to benefit from its unique properties.
Also, since everyone’s hair is different, people with oily hair should try this treatment every 15 days or only on the tips, avoiding the scalp to keep hair from becoming greasy.
For this olive oil hair treatment, we’ll need:
- Italica extra virgin olive oil
- Warm water
- A towel
- Pour two to four tablespoons of olive oil in a microwave-safe container, depending on the length and thickness of your hair.
- Warm it slightly in a microwave, about 15 or 20 seconds.
- Next, wet the hair with warm water and apply the olive oil throughout its length, from scalp to tips (or only the tips).
- Finally, wrap your hair in a towel and leave on for approximately 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wash your hair as usual.
Would you like to try this simple remedy at home? We suggest using Italica premium extra virgin olive oil, which is perfect. And, if this article has made you curious about other uses for olive oil, you can check this other blog post regarding ancient uses of olive oil. We hope you like it!