When we think of a traditional recipe with olive oil, baking is probably not the first culinary art that comes to mind. However, this is the perfect way to make the most of olive oil’s excellent properties.
In this recipe, olive oil also enhances the flavor of the other ingredients. Here it is!
Apple Pie with Dulce de Leche (makes 12 servings):
Ingredients for the homemade apple pie crust:
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- Cold water
- Parchment paper
- Standard pie-pan
(9 inches in diameter and 1 1/4 inch deep)
Ingredients for the pie filling:
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
(5 medium Granny Smith apples)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 1/2 cups dulce de leche (see video below)
- 1 1/2 cups of peanuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
How to make apple pie?
The recipe for homemade apple pie is a timeless classic that is featured in every cookbook. And yes, olive oil plays a big role in this recipe. How? Keep reading to find out.
- To make the crust for this homemade apple pie, place the flour in a bowl and add the baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla sugar and a pinch of salt. Knead the dough well with your hands. Once the dough has come together, add the melted butter and a bit of cold water as you continue to mix all the ingredients.
- Once the desired consistency has been reached, shape the dough into a ball and let it rest for one hour, covered with a damp cloth, in the refrigerator.
- To make the filling for the homemade apple pie peel and core the apples, and cut them into fourths and then into slices. Then place the apple slices in a bowl with the juice of a lemon to keep them from turning brown.
- When making this recipe for apple pie with olive oil, keep in mind that the next step is extremely important. Grind the peanuts and mix them with a tablespoon of virgin olive oil. When ready, add the dulce de leche and mix well with the remaining ingredients.Would you like to add an extra homemade touch to this apple pie recipe?
This video shows you how to make dulce de leche right at home.
- Once the dulce de leche is ready, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) while you shape the crust. To do so, lightly flour your work surface and use a rolling pin to form the dough into a flat disk. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place the rolled out crust in the baking dish and pour some of the dulce de leche and peanut cream into it. Next, arrange the apples along the top of the pie, including the edges, and sprinkle with sugar and melted butter. Glaze the apples with the remaining dulce de leche and peanut cream, and bake for 45 minutes, checking frequently to make sure it does not brown excessively.
Once the homemade apple pie is ready, serve it and wait for your guests to ask what the secret ingredient is.