Is drinking olive oil advisable?
There are many reasons why extra virgin olive oil is highly beneficial for the body. We are already familiar with some of them, such as that it contains primarily monounsaturated fatty acids and omega-3 oleic acid. These acids help lipoproteins become more resistant to oxidation, thereby helping to prevent coronary and vascular diseases as well as atherosclerosis.
It has often been said that the benefits of drinking olive oil in the morning are more effective than at any other time throughout the day. This is because the body has not eaten anything in several hours so it is able to efficiently absorb the first thing we ingest. Therefore, this is the moment when all the properties of what we eat are optimized.
The recommended daily allowance for drinking olive oil in the morning is approximately 1-2 tablespoons.
Drinking olive oil benefits
Some of the benefits of drinking olive oil include:
- One of the best-known benefits of drinking extra virgin olive oil is its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Drinking extra virgin olive oil also helps to control stomach acid, improving digestion and healthy cholesterol levels.
- It prevents gastritis and ulcers. According to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, polyphenols (which are present in olive oil) fight against a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori that is oftentimes linked to stomach ulcers and chronic gastritis. These polyphenolic compounds are able to withstand stomach acids and exhibit antibacterial activity.
- Extra virgin olive oil helps to prevent hangovers. This traditional remedy also has a physiological explanation; the barrier created by the extra virgin olive oil on stomach walls keeps alcohol from adhering, thereby reducing absorption (which causes the discomfort associated with a hangover).
- Pair it with lemon juice. By combining these two foods, the monounsaturated fatty acids and the antioxidants in extra virgin olive oil are mixed with the vitamin C in lemons (another powerful antioxidant), creating the perfect team against cholesterol or constipation, among other ailments.
- Does drinking EVOO for weight loss work? Although olive oil does not lead to weight loss on its own, it contains a substance called oleoylethanolamide that suppresses appetite. It is important to note that if our goal is to lose weight, we should also incorporate other healthy habits into our lifestyle, such as eating a balanced diet or exercising daily.
If we decide to try drinking olive oil, we should pay special attention to whether it has been made following a traditional process and is of the highest quality. This means that our top choices should always include Italica extra virgin olive oil. This is the only way to ensure we take advantage of all its properties, such as its appetite suppressant effects and multiple benefits for the body.
All content found in this post was created for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.